Friday, July 2, 2010

38 weeks and counting...

So here I am at 38 weeks and 3 days and the little guy is making no apparent plans to come out any time soon.  At my appointment on Tuesday my doctor said he was still pretty high & I was not dilated yet, so I guess we'll just keep watching & waiting for now!  In the meantime, I am getting a little bit anxious that he's going to be overdue, which is causing more anxiety as I think about all the "what ifs".  I would appreciate any and all prayers that baby Wyatt comes out safe & healthy whenever he is ready, and that both of us get through the labor & delivery process safely and with no major complications!  I'm sure this gets a little easier after the first baby, but right now I really have no idea what's normal, what's not, etc. and I'm driving myself a little nuts! Here's a belly shot from last night though--I'm actually wearing normal clothes AND some makeup in this picture!  AMAZING!!

Sam and I are nearing the end of the "nesting" phase.  We've just about finished all of our projects around the house & will be putting the finishing touches on the nursery this weekend.  (I'll post pictures of that as soon as everything is in place.)  A couple nights ago, we were putting away more gifts from the sweet shower that Sam's church in Lawton gave us, and Sam decided that he needed to practice changing diapers.  Who am I to argue this??  They say practice makes perfect, and I'm ALL FOR him changing diapers whenever possible!  So, he goes into Wyatt's nursery, gets the teddy bear his parents got for Wyatt out of the crib & a couple newborn diapers, and settles back on the couch for some practice.  The proof is in the picture, people:


At least one of us is going to be trained & ready for some professional diapering here before long! 

We're looking forward to a long holiday weekend this weekend & the opportunity to spend it together with just the 2 of us for one of the last times before we become a family of 3.  We have a few last minute errands to run, but I'm hoping we'll be able to sneak in some time at the pool with friends, a 4th of July cookout & celebration, and perhaps a viewing of Eclipse!  (And who am I kidding, I'm sure I'll go back over the house at least once this weekend with the Swiffer...)

One thing that I have NOT been able to decide on (if there are any guys reading this, feel free to go ahead and continue on your business now) is the breast pump situation.  With the help of several gift cards, a 20% off coupon to Babies R Us, and some very generous family members, I was able to purchase the Medela Pump In Style Advanced.  I haven't opened it yet though, and since I bought it, I've been wondering if I should opt for the hands-free (and more expensive) Medela Freestyle Pump instead.  I've heard lots of great things about the Pump In Style Advanced, but since it's not hands-free, I'm wondering if any of you readers have had any experience or know anyone who has used the Freestyle model?  I'm just trying to decide if it's worth the extra money or not, and I probably need to make a decision here pretty quick! Let me know if you have an opinion on this "oh-so-important" topic and I may be exchanging out the pump I got for the hands-free version sometime in the next few days.  Or maybe I won't.  Who knows?

Have a safe & Happy 4th of July!!

8 comments:

  1. **Definitely don't open that pump until you have the baby and know you will use it.**
    That said, I got the same pump and liked it. Though it was not exactly 'hands free' you can get creative to make it work. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the Medela Pump in Style Advanced, but not the hands free one. Really, I don't see the reason to spend the extra money on a hands free one. But I also don't pump that often because I don't really give my kids bottles that often. I guess it just depends on your preference.

    Just enjoy these last few weeks without baby! I know its hard not to get anxious, but its always better for baby and you if baby comes out in his own timing. Colton was induced and I really regret it. If you are induced, your C-Section chances are really high, like 40% or something. I ended up with a C-Section because of induction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not very shy or modest so here is my breastmilk/pump story in a short mode...

    I was blessed with a HUGE supply. I pump a very large amount of milk at one time and in a very short time. I would make enough for her to eat the whole day, then still be able to store about 40 more oz. each day. That being said I wore the haynie out of my PIS (pump in style). I found no need for the hands free because it usually is only 15 minutes at the most (in my experience). It also depends on what you plan on doing. Do you plan on pumping after each feeding to build a supply for when you are back to work? Do you plan on only pumping and feeding via bottle? Do you plan on pumping maybe just once or twice a day to make a supply so you can go on a date or an overnight trip and Wyatt will still have MM (mommy's milk)? If you are doing it for mainly a backup then you won't be pumping enough to really need the handsfree. They also make these pumping bras (target) that hold the horns on you, so that makes it hands free too and you dont have to pay the extra money. They arent that expensive and if you are in the car, at work, on a trip it comes in handy! Hope that helped. Id be happy to answer any questions, I have kinda become a little to familiar with my pump. I had major mastitis issues so I have ended up pumping more than most. :) Good Luck! Excited for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hee hee! Great question! I remember the first time I tried the pump... before Evey came.... that was TRIP!!! What a fun adventure for you both! I had the regular, not hands free, but I worked and us moms have a lot of talent and well, I learned to use the regular one hands free. At my desk where I pumped (had my own office praise God!) I would just lean up on the desk and continue to pump while working... no problemo! And as one woman above commented, those tanks from Target are the BOMB! I had several, and now have several more, since our baby is 4 weeks from her arrival, and you should stock up! You will figure out how to do it hands free without even having to pay extra for it! Oh, and I do recommend, if you are going back to work, to spend $100 bucks at Home Depot for a mini deep freeze for all that milk you'll be producing. A regular fridge freezer is never enough and not near as cold. Just a hint. We loved ours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I had Brooke's milk supply.....she's a lucky one! I have an advanced, and I like it. I did order a bra to make it hands free so I could double pump easier. I haven't used it cause I just ordered it and had it shipped to my parents house, so I can't wait to try it tomorrow. I didn't know you could buy them at target, not that it would matter cause I don't live by a target!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had both kinds of pumps, electric and manual, though I don't really know how either can be hands free or remember what models they are. I used my smaller/cheaper manual pump on trips in the car when Gavin was little. So if we couldn't stop, I could give him a bottle. So, even though you have a nice pump for at home, I would consider the small manual one for long drives if you plan on making any. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with others who have said you can easily get creative with that pump to make it hands free. No need to spend the extra money in my opinion... save it for the diapers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sure you've already decided what to do an are past this issue, but I just read this post. I had to use both hands when I pumped after Ava. It was annoying because I couldn't do anything but pump. After Grant I got a tip from a friend. Don't spend money on a special bra. Take an old $5 sports bra (the kind that are more for sleeping than working out) and cut a horizontal slit on each just a little smaller than your nipple. Then you can just put it on, put the horn against you and then put the bra in place holding it on. Hook up the pump and you can do whatever you want while you are sitting there. It was so much nicer that way...and easier to relax. Good luck!! ~ andrea

    ReplyDelete